[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: OpenCCO: An Implementation of Constrained Constructive Optimization for Generating 2D and 3D Vascular Trees

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Wed Nov 1 12:39:53 CET 2023

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2023/477/

Bertrand Kerautret, Phuc Ngo, Nicolas Passat, Hugues Talbot, and Clara
Jaquet,
OpenCCO: An Implementation of Constrained Constructive Optimization for
Generating 2D and 3D Vascular Trees,
Image Processing On Line, 13 (2023), pp. 258–279.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2023.477

Abstract
In this article, we focus on the algorithm called CCO (Constrained
Constructive Optimization), initially proposed by Schreiner and Buxbaum
[Computer-Optimization of Vascular Trees, IEEE Transactions on
Biomedical Engineering, 40, 1993] and further extended by Karch et al.
[A Three-Dimensional Model for Arterial Tree Representation, Generated
by Constrained Constructive Optimization, Computers in Biology and
Medicine, 29, 1999]. This algorithm can be considered as one of the gold
standards for vascular tree structure generation. Modeling and/or
simulating the morphology of vascular networks is a challenging but
crucial task that can have a strong impact on different applications
such as fluid simulation or learning processes related to image
segmentation. Various implementations of CCO were proposed over the last
years. However, to the best of our knowledge, there does not exist any
open-source version that faithfully follows the native CCO algorithm.
Our purpose is to propose such an implementation both in 2D and 3D.

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/