[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: Localization and Image Reconstruction in a STORM Based Super-resolution Microscope

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Wed Feb 28 12:33:02 CET 2024

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2024/496/

Pranjal Choudhury, and Bosanta Ranjan Boruah,
Localization and Image Reconstruction in a STORM Based Super-resolution
Microscope,
Image Processing On Line, 14 (2024), pp. 64–85.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2024.496

Abstract
In this paper, we present a comprehensive Python program for localizing
the point spread functions (PSFs) present in a stack of images and
thereby rendering a super-resolved image in a Stochastic Optical
Reconstruction Microscopy (STORM). A microscope that provides
super-resolved images is known as a super-resolution microscope. Optical
super-resolution microscopy is playing a pivotal role in advancing the
field of optical imaging and has found applications in a number of areas
such as cellular biology, biotechnology, medical research, and
nanotechnology. The proposed Python program utilizes image processing
techniques to accurately identify the PSFs present in highly noisy
images with densely packed fluorescent objects. Our program not only
provides all the necessary tools for image reconstruction in a STORM
microscope under open source license but also offers certain advantages
over the existing reconstruction software packages. Some such advantages
are an option to start the reconstruction process and the visualization
of the rendered super-resolved image in parallel with image acquisition
and disposal of the images immediately after acquisition for minimum use
of disk space. Parallel visualization of the reconstructed image allows
aborting the image acquisition in the case the images are not suitable
for super-resolution, thereby saving valuable time. Our Python program
is demonstrated using a number of different image stacks. The proposed
software code can be applied not only to STORM but also to any other
super-resolution technique using single-molecule localization.

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/