[IPOL announce] new article: Integral Images for Block Matching

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Tue Dec 16 15:45:58 CET 2014

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2014/57/

Gabriele Facciolo, Nicolas Limare, and Enric Meinhardt-Llopis,
Integral Images for Block Matching,
Image Processing On Line, 4 (2014), pp. 344–369.
http://dx.doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2014.57

Abstract
The integral image representation is a remarkable idea that permits to
evaluate the sum of image values over rectangular regions of the image
with four operations, regardless of the size of the region. It was first
proposed under the name of summed area table in the computer graphics
community by Crow’84, in order to efficiently filter texture maps. It
was later popularized in the computer vision community by Viola &
Jones’04 with its use in their real-time object detection framework. In
this article we describe the integral image algorithm and study its
application in the context of block matching. We investigate tradeoffs
and the limits of the performance gain with respect to exhaustive block
matching.