[IPOL announce] new article: An Analysis of the Viola-Jones Face Detection Algorithm

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Thu Jun 26 08:14:24 CEST 2014

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2014/104/

Yi-Qing Wang,
An Analysis of the Viola-Jones Face Detection Algorithm,
Image Processing On Line, 4 (2014), pp. 128--148.
http://dx.doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2014.104

Abstract
In this article, we decipher the Viola-Jones algorithm, the first ever
real-time face detection system. There are three ingredients working in
concert to enable a fast and accurate detection: the integral image for
feature computation, Adaboost for feature selection and an attentional
cascade for efficient computational resource allocation. Here we propose
a complete algorithmic description, a learning code and a learned face
detector that can be applied to any color image. Since the Viola-Jones
algorithm typically gives multiple detections, a post-processing step is
also proposed to reduce detection redundancy using a robustness argument.