[IPOL announce] new article: Robust Discontinuity Preserving Optical Flow Methods

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Mon Nov 7 15:41:04 CET 2016

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2016/172/

Nelson Monzón, Agustín Salgado, and Javier Sánchez,
Robust Discontinuity Preserving Optical Flow Methods,
Image Processing On Line, 6 (2016), pp. 165–182.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2016.172

Abstract
In this work, we present an implementation of discontinuity-preserving
strategies in TV-L1 optical flow methods. These are based on exponential
functions that mitigate the regularization at image edges, which usually
provide precise flow boundaries. Nevertheless, if the smoothing is not
well controlled, it may produce instabilities in the computed motion
fields. We present an algorithm that allows three regularization
strategies: the first one uses an exponential function together with a
TV process; the second one combines this strategy with a small constant
that ensures a minimum isotropic smoothing; the third one is a fully
automatic approach that adapts the diffusion depending on the histogram
of the image gradients. The last two alternatives are aimed at reducing
the effect of instabilities. In the experiments, we observe that the
pure exponential function is highly unstable while the other strategies
preserve accurate motion contours for a large range of parameters.