[IPOL announce] new article: Hyperspectral Image Classification Using Graph Clustering Methods

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Sat Aug 19 00:32:22 CEST 2017

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2017/204/

Zhaoyi Meng, Ekaterina Merkurjev, Alice Koniges, and Andrea L. Bertozzi,
Hyperspectral Image Classification Using Graph Clustering Methods,
Image Processing On Line, 7 (2017), pp. 218–245.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2017.204

Abstract
Hyperspectral imagery is a challenging modality due to the dimension of
the pixels which can range from hundreds to over a thousand frequencies
depending on the sensor. Most methods in the literature reduce the
dimension of the data using a method such as principal component
analysis, however this procedure can lose information. More recently,
methods have been developed to address classification of large datasets
in high dimensions. This paper presents two classes of graph-based
classification methods for hyperspectral imagery. Using the full
dimensionality of the data, we consider a similarity graph based on
pairwise comparisons of pixels. The graph is segmented using a
pseudospectral algorithm for graph clustering that requires information
about the eigenfunctions of the graph Laplacian but does not require
computation of the full graph. We develop a parallel version of the
Nyström extension method to randomly sample the graph to construct a low
rank approximation of the graph Laplacian. With at most a few hundred
eigenfunctions, we can implement the clustering method designed to solve
a variational problem for a graph-cut-based semi-supervised or
unsupervised classification problem. We implement OpenMP directive-based
parallelism in our algorithms and show performance improvement and
strong, almost ideal, scaling behavior. The method can handle very large
datasets including a video sequence with over a million pixels, and the
problem of segmenting a data set into a pre-determined number of classes.