[IPOL announce] new article: Theory and Practice of Image B-Spline Interpolation

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Mon Jul 23 01:26:44 CEST 2018

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2018/221/

Thibaud Briand, and Pascal Monasse,
Theory and Practice of Image B-Spline Interpolation,
Image Processing On Line, 8 (2018), pp. 99–141.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2018.221

Abstract
We explain how the B-spline interpolation of signals and, in particular,
of images can be efficiently performed by linear filtering. Based on the
seminal two-step method proposed by Unser et al. in 1991, we propose two
slightly different prefiltering algorithms whose precisions are proven
to be controlled thanks to a rigorous boundary handling. This paper
contains all the information, theoretical and practical, required to
perform efficiently B-spline interpolation for any order and any
boundary extension. We describe precisely how to evaluate the kernel and
to compute the B-spline interpolator parameters. We show experimentally
that increasing the order improves the interpolation quality. As a
fundamental application we also provide an implementation of homographic
transformation of images using B-spline interpolation.