[IPOL announce] new article: How to Reduce Anomaly Detection in Images to Anomaly Detection in Noise

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Mon Dec 9 00:44:24 CET 2019

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2019/263/

Thibaud Ehret, Axel Davy, Mauricio Delbracio, and Jean-Michel Morel,
How to Reduce Anomaly Detection in Images to Anomaly Detection in Noise,
Image Processing On Line, 9 (2019), pp. 391–412.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2019.263

Abstract
Anomaly detectors address the difficult problem of detecting
automatically exceptions in a background image, that can be as diverse
as a fabric or a mammography. Detection methods have been proposed by
the thousands because each problem requires a different background
model. By analyzing the existing approaches, we show that the problem
can be reduced to detecting anomalies in residual images (extracted from
the target image) in which noise and anomalies prevail. Hence, the
general and impossible background modeling problem is replaced by a
simple noise model, and allows the calculation of rigorous detection
thresholds. Our approach is therefore unsupervised and works on
arbitrary images. The residual images can favorably be computed on dense
features of neural networks. Our detector is powered by the a contrario
detection theory, which avoids over-detection by fixing detection
thresholds taking into account the multiple tests.