[IPOL announce] new article: TriplClust: An Algorithm for Curve Detection in 3D Point Clouds

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Sat Jan 19 00:39:19 CET 2019

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2019/234/

Christoph Dalitz, Jens Wilberg, and Lukas Aymans,
TriplClust: An Algorithm for Curve Detection in 3D Point Clouds,
Image Processing On Line, 9 (2019), pp. 26–46.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2019.234

Abstract
In this article, we describe an algorithm for detecting and separating
curves in 3D point clouds without making a priori assumptions about
their parametric shape. The algorithm is called 'TriplClust' because it
is based on the idea of clustering point triplets instead of the
original points. We define a distance measure on point triplets and then
apply a single-link hierarchical clustering on the triplets. The
clustering process can be controlled by several parameters, which are
described in detail, and suggestions for reasonable choices for these
parameters based on the input data are made. Moreover, we suggest a
simple criterion for stopping the single link clustering automatically.