[IPOL announce] new article: PALMS Image Partitioning Lab - A Toolbox for Image Partitioning with the Piecewise Affine-Linear Mumford-Shah Model

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Tue Sep 29 17:05:40 CEST 2020

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2020/295/

Lukas Kiefer, Martin Storath, and Andreas Weinmann,
PALMS Image Partitioning Lab - A Toolbox for Image Partitioning with the
Piecewise Affine-Linear Mumford-Shah Model, Image Processing On Line, 10
(2020), pp. 124–149.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2020.295

Abstract
We present a method for computing approximate solutions of the piecewise
affine-linear Mumford-Shah model - PALMS Image Partitioning. The
piecewise affine-linear Mumford-Shah model is a variational approach to
image partitioning. The underlying algorithm is based on a splitting
approach using ADMM. The emerging subproblems are solved exactly and
efficiently. We detail the solver for these subproblems which is based
on dynamic programming and incorporates an acceleration strategy. The
subproblems are solved in parallel in our implementation to provide an
efficient overall algorithm. We conduct extended studies on the effects
of the algorithmic parameters. Thereby, the implemented algorithm is
further optimized w.r.t. runtime and efficiency. Finally, we underpin
the efficiency of the algorithm by a comparison with the
state-of-the-art which shows that the presented algorithm has lower
computation times and yields lower mean functional values.