[IPOL announce] new article: The Portilla-Simoncelli Texture Model: towards Understanding the Early Visual Cortex

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Thu Jul 8 23:52:20 CEST 2021

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2021/324/

Jonathan Vacher, and Thibaud Briand,
The Portilla-Simoncelli Texture Model: towards Understanding the Early
Visual Cortex,
Image Processing On Line, 11 (2021), pp. 170–211.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2021.324

Abstract

Texture synthesis is a prolific subarea in computer vision where
statistical methods are often successful. The Portilla and Simoncelli
(PS) texture algorithm is one of such methods that became very popular
and has influenced visual perception studies. For many reasons it can
still be considered as a state-of-the art texture synthesis algorithm:
(i) it generates textures that are often indistinguishable from the
original without scrutiny; (ii) it relies on few parameters compared to
recent deep learning methods; (iii) recent algorithms often compare to
it. Here, we review the scientific impact of this algorithm and give a
detailed explanation. Briefly, the PS algorithm synthesizes a new
texture by iteratively imposing to a Gaussian white noise image a set of
high-order statistics of wavelet coefficients precomputed on a texture
example. After few iterations the initial white noise image is
transformed into a texture that is similar to the texture example. We
provide a fast C++ implementation, evaluate the effect of the algorithm
parameters and illustrate its capabilities with many synthesis examples.
In addition, we propose two notable new features to the original
implementation: (i) the possibility to interpolate between two textures;
(ii) the possibility to handle non-periodicity using the
'periodic+smooth' decomposition.