[IPOL announce] new article: A Mathematical Analysis and Implementation of Residual Interpolation Demosaicking Algorithms

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Wed Jul 28 11:55:40 CEST 2021

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2021/358/

Qiyu Jin, Yu Guo, Gabriele Facciolo, and Jean-Michel Morel,
A Mathematical Analysis and Implementation of Residual Interpolation
Demosaicking Algorithms,
Image Processing On Line, 11 (2021), pp. 234–283.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2021.358

Abstract

Demosaicking is the process of reconstructing the full color image from
its mosaic version on a Bayer pattern. It is an integral part of the
image processing pipeline for single sensor digital color cameras.
Demosaicking algorithms based on residual interpolation are interesting
because they produce competitive results with a low computational
complexity. In this article, we provide an analysis and careful
implementation of the most relevant residual based demosaicking
algorithms. Our contribution is twofold. First, we present an analysis
of the mathematical principles of demosaicking algorithms from the
Hamilton-Adams interpolation to the recent 'adaptive residual
interpolation'. Our analysis untangles the relations of these algorithms
and how each is improving on the preceding ones. Lastly, we provide a
comparison between most recent state of the art methods on several image
data sets and discuss their performances.