[IPOL discuss] demo RGBprocess (RGB cube visualization)

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Oct 28 18:06:27 CEST 2010

> I plan to modify the input.html template so we can include the
> credits of the images.

I think we had better write the credits for all the images (used in
the algo description and in the demo) at the same place, ie at the end
of the algo description page. There will be links for direct
navigation between demo and algo[1].

> >* I'd like to have both on the same page, ie, on the "params" page,
> >   either click a button to run the algorithm on the whole image, or
> >   click two points on the image to select a rectangle.
>
> I need your help on that point.
> I just followed the example in
>
>  http://mw.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/megawave/demo/test_subimage/
>
> where subimages are selected in two steps.
> How can I click on two points of the image and send this information
> in a single html form?

You can't. My idea was to do something similar to
http://demotest.ipol.im/~nil/cm_fds_mcm_amss/

3 possibilities on the "params" page:

1. click a button to use all the image -> go to the "run" page
2. click on the image -> get back to the "params" page
3. click once again on the image -> cut the rectangle and go to the "run" page

I will show you how to do it tomorrow.

> >* The bilinear interpolation used to scale up tiny images is
> >   disturbing. Why is this interpolation used? If you need more pixels,
> >   can't you extend the selected rectangle instead of zooming it?
> Bilinear interpolation is used because it preserves the order
> between the gray levels of the
> image, thus preserving their "geometry".
>
> Zoom is used to get a denser set of color points in the RGB cube, so
> we see better the distribution
> of colors in the selected subimage.

OK. So if the criterion is the number of pixels, why do you put the
zoom condition on the reglangle sides? I think the rectangle area seems
more appropriate.

> Views 1-5 show that the color clusters are (approximately) contained
> in planes of constant hue (planes that
> contain the black-white axis of the cube), so it is important to
> display them.

It may not be obvious, maybe you should write something about in in
the page.

Best,

[1] Something else on my todolist... I think I will use tabs instead of
simple links or buttons.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/