[IPOL discuss] SVD for IPOL: which library, and how?

Pierre Moulon pmoulon at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:59:05 CEST 2011

Hi all,

My opinion (from an integration side).

Lapack and GSL need to be compiled as a library and linked to the code in
order to be used.
They are huge and take a long time to compile. On linux they are already
compiled on the machine so it's easy to use them.
On windows we have to use pre-compiled libraries (so we have to add in the
archive the .lib and .dll => Does we want to add 32/64 bits version.... ?)

For Eigen, we use it add a header library.
So when you compile your application the matrix liibrary and related
fonction will be compiled on the fly. It makes the compilation more easy
because the process is the same for all the platform.

I think Pascal "black box" idea is a good one.
=> So code could be personalized for own purpose if someone want to do it.
A default solution is purposed by the way of (Eigen, ...).

PS : I add the reference over Eigen http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/

Regards,
Pierre