[IPOL discuss] Patents and IPOL code

Miguel Colom Miguel.Colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Apr 6 14:18:29 CEST 2011

According to the European law (Article 52 of the European Patent
Convention [1]), the following are not patentable:
   1. discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods;
   2. aesthetic creations;
   3. schemes, rules and methods for performing mental acts, playing games
or doing business, and programs for computers;
   4. presentations of information.

Image processing algorithms source code or the binaries seem to related to
points 1 and 3.

The problem is that other countries, like USA, allow patents on software.

But I think that this doesn't represent a a problem for IPOL, because
we're under the French law.
Adding restrictions to IPOL, like avoiding the download of the source code
of limiting the processing capabilities of the demos (file size, number of
executions, parameters, etc) is not needed, in my opinion.

Best,
Miguel