[IPOL discuss] Patents and IPOL code

Jean-Michel Morel morel at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Fri Apr 8 13:27:58 CEST 2011

Dear all,

The final decision lies with the IPOL scientific committee and the IPOL
editorial board.  We will have to submit them the following alternative
which summarizes our debate:

Choice 1:  For patented algorithms, the source code will not be
available to the public, but only to the referees. There will be no
online demo for the patented algorithms.

Choice 2:  For patented algorithms, the source code will not be
available to the public but only to the referees. The online demo will
be maintained.

Choice 3:  For patented algorithms, the source code will be available,
but the users will be warned of infringement risks.  The journal will
argue that the source code is made available as a scientific proof of
completeness and consistency of the described algorithm. The users will
also be warned that the source code may be withdrawn from IPOL in case
of a request by the patent owners.

I can prepare a text to submit this decision to both committees, but I
would like to have the final draft from José Luis, Nicolas and Pascal
for the warnings in the source codes (which will be at least delivered
to the referees).

Best,
JM