[IPOL discuss] slider inputs for IPOL demos

Soufiane RITAL soufiane.rital at telecom-paristech.fr
Mon Mar 7 15:54:28 CET 2011

Le 07/03/2011 15:47, Nicolas Limare a écrit :
>> Please try the demo on my webpage
>>     http://www.math.ucla.edu/~getreuer/jqslider.html
> Thanks for your efforts Pascal, these sliders are very nice. Did you
> need to spend a lot of time to study and understand Jquery?
>
>> The advantage of the JQueryUI version is that the slider has more
>> features (like keyboard support), a well-developed JavaScript
>> interface that facilitates more readable code, and the library is
>> maintained by the web experts.  I much prefer the JQueryUI version
>> over my previous implementation.
> Can I conclude that you recommend Jquery for the JavaScript parts of
> IPOL? Who on the list has some JavaScript experience (I don't) and can
> confirm this?
>
> @Soufiane: Which JavaScipt framework did you use for the PLATO project?
For PLATO project, I use *Prototype *framework
(http://www.prototypejs.org/).
But, I recommand also JQuery for IPOL.

S.R.

> @Agustin: Do you think you could have a look at Jquery when implementing
> the lens distortion and snakes demos?
>
>> If there is anything to complain about, the JQuery+JQueryUI libraries
>> are rather hefty (82 KB), which is enough to affect page load speed
>> [2].  My previous and very minimal implementation is much smaller (4
>> KB).  Then again, we are probably also loading ~100 KB in images on
>> the demo page anyway, so it seems this point doesn't matter so much
>> here.
> And the libraries are only downloaded once and kept in the browser
> cache for all the subsequent uses, so this load speed shouldn't be a
> big problem. Moreover, the downloaded library can (and hopefully will)
> be used for much more than sliders, it's quite like comparing apples
> and oranges.
>
> About the implementation:
>
> 1. Is it possible to write this part of the code in the document<body>?
>
>      $(document).ready(function() {
>          createLinkedSlider('#value1', '#slider1', 1, 8, 0.1);
>          createLinkedSlider('#value2', '#slider2', 0, 1, 0.01);
>      });
>
> 2. To use such sliders in IPOL, we will probably need to modify the
> templates because for the moments one can only customize the HTML body
> from the app/xxx/template/ folders. I think we should
> * provide a way to customize the HTML head links to include references
>    to the 3 external files of the library when a demo needs it
> * for the moment, include our custom javascript functions (such as
>    your createLinkedSlider()) in the document header, just as you did
>    on http://www.math.ucla.edu/~getreuer/jqslider.html
> * when a function is used by more than one demo, include it in a
>    jquery-ipol.js file available to all demos and included together
>    like the 3 jquery files

--------------------------
Research engineer
www.tsi.enst.fr/~rital

TELECOM ParisTech - TSI department
46 rue Barrault - 75013 Paris - France
+33 1 45 81 70 73 (temporairement)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail communication and any attachments
may contain proprietary and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients named above. Any unauthorized review, use,
copies of the original message.