[IPOL discuss] slider inputs for IPOL demos

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Tue Mar 8 15:18:54 CET 2011

Hi,

> So demos can use JQuery sliders without requiring customized changes
> to the header.

OK, so I think we'll start with keeping it simple and including links
to the 3 jquery files plus our custom ipol-jquery.js for all the
demos. If we notice a page load penalty we can try more subtle
solutions in a second step.

> I like the idea of starting an "ipol-jquery.js" that would include
> things like the createLinkedSlider definition.  What else could
> JavaScript do that would be valuable for IPOL?  I am not suggesting to
> go JavaScript crazy, but here are a few things I was thinking about.
5A> * Image cropping with improved interactivity
> * Progress bar for a demo that take longer to compute (this was
> discussed earlier, work is also needed on the Python end to poll the
> program's progress)

I have doubts about the feasability of these progress bars, but I'll
be happy to be wrong :)

> * On the results page, other ways of organizing/visualizing
> multiple images

Other possible JavaScript improvements:

* An interactive image zoom, to explore local details of an image.
  This would need to be a "pixel duplication" zoom, no interpolation,
  like a magnifying glass to see larger pixels.
* Better polygon and polygonal line selection tools.
  The current ones used for ags_algebraic_lens_distortion_estimation
  and abmh_real_time_morphological_snakes_algorithm could be greatly
  improved, I'm not proud of this code. I'm afraid JavaScript doesn't
  have native drawing functions, so this may be a problem until SVG
  graphics or HTML5 canvas are widely supported.
* The archives could benefit from more JavaScript-powered ergonomy.

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F