[IPOL discuss] comments needed : [draft] IPOL Software Guidelines v.1

José Luis Lisani joseluis.lisani at uib.es
Mon Nov 7 13:12:18 CET 2011

Hi all,

thanks Nicolas for these guidelines and Pascal for the careful reading.
I don't have much too add to Pascal's comments, just a few remarks
regarding version 2
(http://tools.ipol.im/wiki/author/code/software_guidelines/sw-guidelines_tmp20111107.html):

1) typo (already remarked by Pascal):
"the quality of these comments is more important than the quality",
the second "quality" must be "quantity"

2) typo:
"The line termionation SHOULD"

3) In the License section, when referring to patented algorithms,
I think the following sentences are confusing:
First, it is said that:
"The license MUST be mentioned after the copyright attribution line
(and patent warning for algorithms potentially linked to a patent)."
But later it says:
"When a file can be linked to a patented algorithm, GPL licenses MUST NOT
be used because they might conflict with patents or are somehow unclear.
BSD licenses can be used but some of their terms may be restricted by
patent jurisdictions."

Since GPL MUST NOT be used and BSD CAN be used, I think that including
the license
for a patented algorithm is optional. I propose:
"For algorithms not linked to a patent the license MUST be mentioned
after the copyright
attribution line."
"When a file can be linked to a patented algorithm, GPL licenses MUST NOT
be used because they might conflict with patents or are somehow unclear.
BSD licenses can be used but some of their terms may be restricted by
patent jurisdictions. (...)"

José Luis