[IPOL discuss] Corrections of erratas in IPOL articles

Jean-Michel Morel morel at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Nov 23 19:48:40 CET 2011

Dear all,

Errors in an IPOL article or in the IPOL code that alter the
understanding of the article, or the functionality and result of its
code  must obviously be corrected.

This dynamic errata correction is a new feature, allowed by electronic
content. I see no inconvenience if a strict track is kept of the
corrections and of their dates in the article and code, and this is what
I have proposed.

This does not mean that authors will be allowed to change willfully
their article content or their code.

What kind of corrections will be allowed is a scientific matter. It must
be decided in each case by a scientific editor and referees.

  For the time being, only two such requests have been done at IPOL:

-one to modify a wrong reference in an article;
-one to change parts of the code managing the demo of an article, but
without changing the algorithm or code hard core.

In my opinion both requests are manageable. The second will be examined
by a scientific editor.

Nevertheless in the future, we must be very careful to let authors
identify clearly what part of their code is submitted. Once accepted,
this part will not be allowed to vary.  As is clear in the IPOL rules,
it is the part of the code that matches the algorithmic description
given in the article that is submitted. The rest of the code, if  not
refereed, is contingent.

I therefore propose to leave open the option to change the contingent
part of the code. Nevertheless such a change will request the joint
agreement of authors and editorial board.

Indeed, we need a dynamic journal, where the online articles are kept
alive, in particular by updating the online demos to make them
compatible between them for benchmarks.

I do not think that this contradicts Nicolas' principles, but it
introduces a distinction between published (refereed) code and
peripheral (unrefereed) code.

Best,
Jean-Michel