[IPOL discuss] 2 cmake questions

Pierre Moulon pmoulon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 17:30:16 CET 2011

I'm sorry you can't specify the output directory through the command line
without a specific options of the cmake 2.8.
By default it consider the current dir as output

You could use the following

$ cmake -E make_directory build
$ cmake -E chdir build cmake ../HelloWorld
$ cmake --build build
$ rm -rf ./build

=> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#opt:--builddir

Something that you could like is the graphivz export of dependencies :

--graphviz=[file]: Generate graphviz of dependencies.

Generate a graphviz input file that will contain all the library and
executable dependencies in the project.

Regards,
Pierre

2011/11/28 Nicolas Limare <nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr>

> > This should not work, see note below [1]. The intended use for cmake
> > is to build in a different dir than the one containing the source
> > code. So, lets say you have the source in ./src and you compile in
> > ./build. You can safely do a 'rm -fr build/*' to get rid of
> > everything.
>
> OK for the concept of out-of-cource build, easy to cleanup with a
> simple rm -rf. But for such out-ou-source build, it seems that I HAVE
> to manually move to this build dir wth CD. The syntax provided by
> Pierre dows not create the cmake files in the build dir.
>
> I just want something like
>
>  mkdir /path/to/build/
>  cmake -option /path/to/build/ /path/to/src/
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>                               `-> would create CMakeFiles, CMakeCache,
>                                   etc. in /path/to/build/
>  make -C /path/to/build/
>  rm -rf /path/to/build
>
> So far, it seems that cmake always create the CMakeStuff in the
> current directory.
>
> I think my two wishes are incompatible in the cmake world:
> * a want a command (a make, cmake or a simple rm) to cleanup everything

OK => since Cmake 2.8with --build option. Before you have to do
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ../helloWorld
$ make

* I want to manage all the build process without moving

OK