[IPOL discuss] The Hatchery: an informal index of available code within our community.

Pascal Getreuer getreuer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:37:40 CEST 2011

Hi all,

There has been a lot of great discussion on this thread.  Thanks to
you guys starting the Hatchery initiative.

I agree with Daniel and Juan that I prefer code sharing in tems of
"useful snippets" rather than a larger framework (looking at Nicolas'
git [1], he would agree as well?).  It is in the same spirit as the
Numerical Recipes books or the MATLAB File Exchange that code is
especially inviting as short, well-commented snippets that perform a
clearly defined task with minimal dependencies.

Suppose for example I want code to compute eigenvectors of 3x3 real
symmetric matrices.  It would be easier to pick up a simple and
self-contained snippet rather than a full-fledged linear algebra
library.

Or as another example, if you need a good random number generator,
then Nicolas has a nice package "mt" [1] that does the job and is very
easy to use.

But we should be free about what is allowed with the Hatchery.  If
someone has spent the effort to create a library, then by all means
let them share.

[1] http://dev.ipol.im/git/?s=nil

Best,
Pascal