[IPOL discuss] Handbook for Reviwers: your feedback required! :)

Jean-Michel Morel morel at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Mon Feb 20 22:11:03 CET 2012

Dear Daniel,

I am rather opposed to pile up a long list of exigences and make them
official rules for any journal. First of all, no journal whatsoever does
so. All journals trust authors, referees and editors to play a fair
game, which rules may actually be different for each paper.

  Indeed, each paper fixes its own rules, because it fixes its own
claims. If a paper claims that it implements, say, the Mumford-Shah
minimization, the referees are entitled to control that it is the real
Mumford-Shah minimization.  If the paper claims that is implements its
own brand of the same minimization, the referees can ask the author to
compare to other brands and justify the choices.

If a referee feels that a paper on a basic method makes sense to be read
by master students, he may require authors to give all details of the
derivations. But if it is an advanced research paper, all derivations
are not required. In short, the evaluation game must be left as free as
possible.  Which is also to say that the referees have almost all
rights, as we observe in good journals, and can therefore impose their
own rule to each paper, based on the claims of the paper.

Thus, I suggest that you should rather think in terms of defining
certain types of papers that are encouraged at IPOL, and to give them in
as short as possible form.

For example two sorts of paper you seem to have in mind might be:

"Introductory papers on classic methods, motivating the method,
reasoning on the underlying assumptions on images, justifying the
parameter choices, proposing a neat implementation, and discussing the
most illustrative examples and counterexamples, flaws and successes of
the method". (Here it is the pedagogic aspect that dominates)

and:

"Implementations of state of the art methods on a given problem, as
faithful as possible to the original paper proposing them, and giving
the community a benchmark implementation it can refer to when comparing
to other methods". (Here it is the faithfulness to the original paper
that matters)

Best,
Jean-Michel