[IPOL discuss] raw PDF version of the articles

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Tue Mar 27 15:33:48 CEST 2012

Jose Luis,

Thanks for your detailed feedback.

> pdf's OK:
> [...]
> * http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2012.admm-nppsf~2012-03-23.pdf
> (except for a page break that produces an almost empty page)

HTML page breaking algorithm are not as elaborate as with
LaTeX. Moreover, in HTML, the table and figure are not floationg, so
they can not be moved around in the document to allow for better page
layout. So, my conclusion is that, unfortunately, it can not be
improved.

> * http://www.ipol.im/pub/algo/gjmr_line_segment_detector/
> (except that links to videos don't work)

In fact, many links were broken in many PDFs bcause they were kept as
relative, local links. I has been fixed by converting them to
absolute links.

> unable to open pdf:
> * http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2010.ags-alde~2010-07-28.pdf
> * http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2011.g_igcs~2011-09-01.pdf

I could perfectly open them. It may have been a temporary network problem, or
maybe I was updating the files while you were reading them.

> problems with wide figures:
> problems with wide formulas:

I think I could fix it by scaling the text by 3/2, then scaling all
the document by 2/3, resulting in a scaling of all the figures by 2/3
with an unchanged text size. Side effect: the LaTeX images too are smaller
now.

Some grayscale jpg images are displayed corrupted, as three identical
images side by side:
-> in the credits at the end of
* http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2011.blmv_ct~2009-08-21.pdf
* http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2011.g_iics~2011-08-01.pdf
* http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2011.lmps_rpe~2011-04-05.pdf
* http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2011.my-asift~2011-02-24.pdf
-> large images in
* http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2011.gl_lcc~2011-09-27.pdf
* http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2011.my-asift~2011-02-24.pdf

Replacing them by PNG versions seems to solve the problem, but this
requires the careful examination and correction or every article. I
didn't do it.

> problems with gif images:
> problems with 'gallery' format for figures visualization:
> * http://dev.ipol.im/~nil/tmp/ipol/www2pdf/10.5201.ipol.2011.gl_lcc~2011-09-27.pdf

These are two manifastations of the same problem. In HTML documents ,
we can have different alternative contents replacing each other over
time (GIF sequences) or on a user action (galleries). In PDF files,
there is only one version of the content of the document. I see no workaround.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/