[IPOL discuss] Best Practices for Scientific Computing

Pascal Monasse monasse at imagine.enpc.fr
Mon Oct 8 12:51:43 CEST 2012

No, in many situations you do not have to manipulate pointers in C++. One
example:

#include <vector>
#include <iostream>
int main() {
	std::vector<int> vec;
	for(int i=0; i<10000; i++)
		vec.push_back(i);
	for(int i=0; i<vec.size(); i++)
		std::cout << vec[i] << std::endl;
}

It builds an array of 10000 integers and I do not have to care about
allocation, delete, bound-checking...

Pascal