[IPOL discuss] Science Code Manifesto

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Sat Feb 2 11:27:05 CET 2013

Hi,

I just discovered the Science Code Manifesto. It seems very close to
what we are doing with IPOL. Another sign that serious science based
non software tools is gaining momentum.

8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------8<----------

http://sciencecodemanifesto.org/

Science Code Manifesto

Software is a cornerstone of science. Without software, twenty-first
century science would be impossible. Without better software, science
cannot progress.

But the culture and institutions of science have not yet adjusted to
this reality. We need to reform them to address this challenge, by
adopting these five principles:

Code
  All source code written specifically to process data for a published
  paper must be available to the reviewers and readers of the paper.
Copyright
  The copyright ownership and license of any released source code must
  be clearly stated.
Citation
  Researchers who use or adapt science source code in their research
  must credit the code’s creators in resulting publications.
Credit
  Software contributions must be included in systems of scientific
  assessment, credit, and recognition.
Curation
  Source code must remain available, linked to related materials, for
  the useful lifetime of the publication.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan         http://limare.perso.math.cnrs.fr/