[IPOL discuss] matlab to C/C++ translation tools

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Sat Mar 23 06:24:35 CET 2013

Hi,

The matter of publishing MATLAB implementations in IPOL is often
discussed. I recently heard about two projects of a MATLAB-to-C++
translator, and this could solve some of the objections against MATLAB
(black box, not mixable with other languages, requires a license).

These MATLAB-to-C++ translators are commercial products developped by
the Silkan[1] and companies. They are not more open or free than
MATLAB, but if I understand correctly they produce a C++
implementation equivalent to a MATLAB code, and this C++ code can be
open and free (to be verified, I do not know the details). This could
be an option for IPOL, for example receiving the MATLAB code but
reviewing and publishing the C++ code converted from MATLAB (with or
without co-author, etc... to be discussed later).

I read that both companies are interested in academic partnerships and
could possibly offer the use of their tools for academic purposes as
it would help them improve their products.

Do you think this option should be explored? Is someone interested in
contacting these companies to know more about their MATLAB-to-C++
translators?

[1] http://www.silkan.com/
[2] http://www.metascale.com/

--