[IPOL discuss] matlab to C/C++ translation tools

Pascal Getreuer getreuer at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Sat Mar 23 20:20:32 CET 2013

Automatic code translation is interesting because it opens new
possibilities.  Suppose we can translate authors' MATLAB code to C++,
then the demo server could use the C++ translation to run the online
demo without needing MATLAB.  We could also consider to distribute the
C++ translation alongside the MATLAB code as a second reference
implementation; readers who do not have MATLAB can still use the C++
version.

There are, however, serious issues with such automatic translation
that must be considered.  We must be careful about the implications to
correctness, readability, and library dependencies.

== Correctness ==

I first want to point out that translation of arbitrary MATLAB code to
C++ is a monster of a problem.  There are fundamental differences
between these languages:
 * MATLAB is dynamically typed, C++ is not (but it can be emulated,
e.g. boost::any [1]).
 * MATLAB is vector-based, C++ is not (but it can be emulated, see
e.g. Blitz++ [2] or OpenCV [3]).
 * MATLAB supports anonymous functions and closures, C++98 does not
support them (but C++11 does).
 * MATLAB supports nested functions, C++ does not (but it can be
emulated with nested classes).
 * MATLAB's symbolic toolbox allows to perform symbolic algebra and
calculus, I am not aware of any C++ analog.
 * MATLAB's combination of dynamically typing and polymorphism allows
generically written routines (e.g., function Y = mymean(X), Y =
sum(X(:))/numel(X); works for X an array of any dimension, dense or
sparse, real or complex, single or double).  C++ can, with hard work,
approximate this effect (see e.g. the cv::Mat class in OpenCV [3])
 * MATLAB has an "eval" function that executes a given string of
arbitrary M-code.
 * MATLAB continues to add new features to the language

Since translation is difficult, it would not be surprising if it were
to break correctness of the code.  It would be good to require authors
to include a suite of unit tests so that we can adequately test the
translation's correctness.

== Readability ==

Translation probably degrades readability, as Jean-Michel noted:
> -will such a C++ code be readable? I gather that still it will be better to
> review the original Matlab code

I believe that it is definitely the case that the MATLAB code is
better for review.  Humans are much better than machines at making
human-readable code.  The review process could be to review only the
MATLAB code, then apply the unit tests (as mentioned above) to verify
the C++ translation.

== Libraries ==

> -what about the functions in Matlab whose code is not public? How could they
> possibly be translated?

Fortunately, many MATLAB functions are open-source because they are
implemented in M-code or because MATLAB links to open-source libraries
(LINPACK, UMFPACK, Qhull, etc.).  For those functions where the code
is not public, there are usually open-source equivalents in GNU Octave
[4].

The downside is that translated code might depend on any or all of
those libraries that MATLAB uses.  We currently allow just a few
essential and very mature libraries (FFTW, libpng, libtiff, and zlib)
to avoid maintenance problems.  For example, if a library has a
security bug that involves API changes to fix, then the published code
would need to be updated to the new API---but we certainly want to
minimize any changes to already-published code.  Furthermore,
additional dependencies makes code harder to build and complicates
licenses.

[1] http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/doc/html/any.html
[2] http://blitz.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/