[IPOL discuss] GSL and Eigen for IPOL

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Fri Sep 6 08:28:36 CEST 2013

> I will write that in the next days. It is the perfect moment to
> propose other changes to the IPOL Software Guidelines. If you have
> some ideas, send me a mail and I'll add your change to the proposed
> version 1.02

First draft for the updated software guidelines is here:
-> https://tools.ipol.im/wiki/ref/software_guidelines/drafts/

Changes from version 1.01:
* Add libgsl and libtiff 4.x to the list of allowed external libraries.
* Expanded on the possibility to use other libraries, distributed with
  the published software.

About Eigen:
> The underlying question is how long will code written for
> Eigen 3.2 be usable with the latest maintained version of Eigen. I'd
> like to see a statement like the one by GSL people[1] on the Eigen
> website. I'll ask specific questions about that on the eigen
> mailing-list, and bring this info here.

my questions to Eigen people
-> http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen/2013/09/msg00007.html

answers from the lead developper
-> http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen/2013/09/msg00006.html

So it seems that one of the current development goals of the Eigen
project is to keep the API and ABI stable[1]. From this answer, I
think that Eigen (version 3.x, only officially supported modules)
could be allowed in IPOL code. If there is no other comment tn this
point, I will include that in the next draft for the guidelines 1.02.

[1] API stability implies that code written with Eigen 3.n can be
    compiled with Eigen 3.m, m>=n. ABI stability implies means that
    code compiled with Eigen 3.n can be linked with another code
    compiled with Eigen 3.m. IPOL needs a stable API, but doesn't
    need a stable ABI.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan         http://limare.perso.math.cnrs.fr/
IPOL journal                                             http://www.ipol.im/