[IPOL discuss] Pb with doubly gzipped file in the demo

Miguel Colom colom at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Wed Apr 16 14:55:40 CEST 2014

Quoting Julie Digne <julie.digne at liris.cnrs.fr>:
> A quick search indicates that it comes from the apache server:
> http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/32107/sitemap-file-getting-double-compressed
>
> and the solution would be to modify the httpd.conf entry.
>
> Can someone help me fix that or should I just use zip instead of gzip?
>
> Thanks
> Julie

Hi Julie,
I would say that it doesn't come from Apache, since... we don't use
Apache, but nginx as the webserver :)

It could be indeed a problem with the configuration of the webserver
of perhaps a malfunctioning proxy.

Nevertheless, I think that you should simple use ZIP instead of gzip,
just because some users (specially Windows users) may don't know the
gzip or tar.gz format, unless they install some tool (as 7zip, for
example). If you use ZIP, it'll be easier and the problem will be
solved.

Meanwhile, some administrator of Purple may investigate this problem.

Best,
Miguel