[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: Multiscale Retinex

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Tue Apr 29 13:02:47 CEST 2014

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2014/107/

Ana Belén Petro, Catalina Sbert, and Jean-Michel Morel, Multiscale
Retinex, Image Processing On Line,  (2014), pp. 71--88.
http://dx.doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2014.107

Abstract
While the retinex theory aimed at explaining human color perception, its
derivations have led to efficient algorithms enhancing local image
contrast, thus permitting among other features, to "see in the shadows".
Among these derived algorithms, Multiscale Retinex is probably the most
successful center-surround image filter. In this paper, we offer an
analysis and implementation of Multiscale Retinex. We point out and
resolve some ambiguities of the method. In particular, we show that the
important color correction final step of the method can be seriously
improved. This analysis permits to come up with an automatic
implementation of Multiscale Retinex which is as faithful as possible to
the one described in the original paper. Overall, this implementation
delivers excellent results and confirms the validity of Multiscale
Retinex for image color restoration and contrast enhancement.
Nevertheless, while the method parameters can be fixed, we show that a
crucial choice must be left to the user, depending on the lightning
condition of the image: the method must either be applied to each color
independently if a color balance is required, or to the luminance only
if the goal is to achieve local contrast enhancement. Thus, we propose
two slightly different algorithms to deal with both cases.