[IPOL discuss] A library of python bindings for IPOL algorithms

martin de la gorce martin.delagorce at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:11:50 CEST 2016

Hello

I have started a project on Github (https://github.com/martinResearch/PyIPOL)
that aims at providing a python interface to each of the algorithms that
are on IPOL with an example for each algorithm.

I think that having Python bindings for the IPOL algorithms can be
interesting to people who want to  test easily and integrate quickly these
codes in their applications written in python or in order to script tests
easily . The goal is to put it on the official python packages index
website (https://pypi.python.org/pypi) which could potentially increase the
visibility of the IPOL algorithms.

I have for now interfaced about a dozen of papers and the goal is to get
almost all of the IPOL papers interfaced with python. Most of the
interfaces have been done by calling the original executable with temporary
files. Some bindings have been written using Cython.

Adding a paper takes between 15 min and an hour, depending on the
complexity of the input/output formats for the executable. Writing the code
to get nice drawings of the results in python might take a bit of time when
there is not yet another paper that perform a similar task already
interfaced on whose code can be reused (drawing point matches for images of
different sizes for example, or optical flow vector fields).

I invite you to install a test my bindings and to make suggestions for
improvements and contribute by adding articles (I have tried to simplify as
much as possible the steps and to document them in detail).

Best regards

Martin de La Gorce
http://imagine.enpc.fr/~de-la-gm/