[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: The Image Curvature Microscope: Accurate Curvature Computation at Subpixel Resolution

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Fri Jul 28 15:34:55 CEST 2017

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2017/212/

Adina Ciomaga, Pascal Monasse, and Jean-Michel Morel,
The Image Curvature Microscope: Accurate Curvature Computation at
Subpixel Resolution,
Image Processing On Line, 7 (2017), pp. 197–217.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2017.212

Abstract
We detail in this paper the numerical implementation of the so-called
image curvature microscope, an algorithm that computes accurate image
curvatures at subpixel resolution, and yields a curvature map conforming
with our visual perception. In contrast to standard methods, which would
compute the curvature by a finite difference scheme, the curvatures are
evaluated directly on the level lines of the bilinearly interpolated
image, after their independent smoothing, a step necessary to remove
pixelization artifacts. The smoothing step consists in the affine
erosion of the level lines through a geometric scheme, and can be
applied in parallel to all level lines. The online algorithm allows the
user to visualize the image of curvatures at different resolutions, as
well as the set of level lines before and after smoothing.

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/