[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: Temporal Repetition Detector for Time Series of Spectrally Limited Satellite Imagers

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Sat Jun 27 01:36:29 CEST 2020

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2020/245/

Tristan Dagobert, Rafael Grompone von Gioi, Jean-Michel Morel, and Carlo
de Franchis,
Temporal Repetition Detector for Time Series of Spectrally Limited
Satellite Imagers,
Image Processing On Line, 10 (2020), pp. 62–77.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2020.245

Abstract
This article addresses the problem of estimating scene visibility in
time series of satellite images. It focuses on satellites with few
spectral bands and high revisit frequency. Our approach exploits the
redundancy of information acquired during these revisits. It is based on
an unsupervised algorithm that tracks local ground textures across time
and detects ruptures caused mainly by opaque clouds and in some cases by
haze, cirrus and shadows. Experiments have been carried out on 18
PlanetScope image times series of various locations. These time series
come with hand-made ground truth labels that are published together with
this paper. We compare our results with the Unusable Data Masks (UDM)
that Planet provides together with the images, and demonstrate the
effectiveness of the proposed method: success rates of 97.78% and 89.36%
are reached for the visible and occluded regions classification. This
article is related to the following publication: [Tristan Dagobert,
Jean-Michel Morel, Carlo de Franchis and Rafael Grompone von Gioi,
Visibility detection in time series of Planetscope images, IEEE
International Geoscience And Remote Sensing Symposium, 2019].

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/