[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: Reviewing ViBe, a Popular Background Subtraction Algorithm for Real-Time Applications

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Wed Nov 23 11:17:02 CET 2022

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2022/434/

Xavier Bou, Thibaud Ehret, Gabriele Facciolo, Jean-Michel Morel, and
Rafael Grompone von Gioi,
Reviewing ViBe, a Popular Background Subtraction Algorithm for Real-Time
Applications,
Image Processing On Line, 12 (2022), pp. 527–549.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2022.434

Abstract
Background subtraction or foreground segmentation is commonly the first
step in video processing pipelines, where foreground objects and moving
entities are detected for further analysis. Background subtraction is
still an open problem in computer vision due to the wide range of
possible scenarios and challenging cases, such as weather conditions,
illumination variation, dynamic backgrounds or low frame-rates. In this
article, we review a well-known general algorithm for background
subtraction named visual background extractor or ViBe. More than 10
years after its publication, ViBe is still widely used due to its
simplicity and low computational load, as its authors claim it can
process up to 200 fps. We analyze the algorithm's mechanism to segment
foreground objects, comment on its strengths and drawbacks, and describe
an effective variant of the method to quickly dissipate ghost effects
using 3-frame difference. Furthermore, we provide an easy-to-use demo
that allows to quickly test the performance of ViBe on custom data,
modify its parameters and download the results.

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/