[IPOL discuss] [IPOL announce] new article: Semantic Segmentation: A Zoology of Deep Architectures

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Wed Jun 7 19:12:45 CEST 2023

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2023/447/

Aitor Artola,
Semantic Segmentation: A Zoology of Deep Architectures,
Image Processing On Line, 13 (2023), pp. 167–182.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2023.447

Abstract
In this paper we review the evolution of deep architectures for semantic
segmentation. The first successful model was fully convolutional network
(FCN) published in CVPR in 2015. Since then, the subject has become very
popular and many methods have been published, mainly proposing
improvements of FCN. We describe in detail the Pyramid Scene Parsing
Network (PSPnet) and DeepLabV3, in addition to FCN, which provide a
multi-scale description and increase the resolution of segmentation. In
recent years, convolutional architectures have reached a bottleneck and
have been surpassed by transformers from natural language processing
(NLP), even though these models are generally larger and slower. We have
chosen to discuss about the Segmentation Transformer (SETR), a first
architecture with a transformer backbone. We also discuss SegFormer,
that includes a multi-scale interpretation and tricks to decrease the
size and inference time of the network. The networks presented in the
demo come from the MM-Segmentation library, an open source semantic
segmentation toolbox based on PyTorch. We propose to compare these
methods qualitatively on individual images, and not on global metrics on
databases as is usually the case. We compare these architectures on
images outside of their training set. We also invite the readers to make
their own comparison and derive their own conclusions.

--
IPOL - Image Processing On Line   - http://ipol.im/

contact     edit at ipol.im          - http://www.ipol.im/meta/contact/
news+feeds  twitter @IPOL_journal - http://www.ipol.im/meta/feeds/