[IPOL announce] new article: Efros and Freeman Image Quilting Algorithm for Texture Synthesis

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Wed Jan 11 10:30:50 CET 2017

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2017/171/

Lara Raad, and Bruno Galerne,
Efros and Freeman Image Quilting Algorithm for Texture Synthesis,
Image Processing On Line, 7 (2017), pp. 1–22.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2017.171

Abstract
Exemplar-based texture synthesis is defined as the process of
generating, from an input texture sample, new texture images that are
perceptually equivalent to the input. Efros and Freeman's method is a
non-parametric patch-based method which computes an output texture image
by quilting together patches taken from the input sample. The main
innovation of their work relies in the stitching technique which
significantly reduces the transition effect between patches. In this
paper, we propose a detailed analysis and implementation of their work.
We provide a complete mathematical description of the linear programing
problem used for the quilting step as well as implementation details.
Additionally we propose a partially parallel version of the quilting
technique.