[IPOL announce] new article: Cradle Removal in X-Ray Images of Panel Paintings

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Wed Jan 18 11:38:24 CET 2017

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2017/174/

Gábor Fodor, Bruno Cornelis, Rujie Yin, Ann Dooms, and Ingrid Daubechies,
Cradle Removal in X-Ray Images of Panel Paintings,
Image Processing On Line, 7 (2017), pp. 23–42.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2017.174

Abstract
We address the problem of mitigating the visually displeasing effects of
cradling in X-ray images of panel paintings. The proposed algorithm
consists of three stages. In the first stage the location of the
cradling is detected semi-automatically and the grayscale inconsistency,
caused by the thickness of the cradling, is adjusted. In a second stage
we use a blind source separation method to decompose the X-ray image
into a so-called cartoon part and a texture part, where the latter
contains mostly the wood grain from both the panel as well as the
cradling. In the third and final stage the algorithm tries to learn the
distinction between the texture patterns that originate from the
cradling and those from other components such as the panel and/or the
painting. The goal of the proposed research is to improve the
readability of X-ray images of paintings for art experts.