[IPOL announce] new article: Watervoxels

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Tue Oct 8 23:55:49 CEST 2019

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2019/250/

Pierre Cettour-Janet, Clément Cazorla, Vaia Machairas, Quentin Delannoy,
Nathalie Bednarek, François Rousseau, Etienne Décencière, and Nicolas
Passat,
Watervoxels,
Image Processing On Line, 9 (2019), pp. 317–328.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2019.250

Abstract

In this article, we present the n-dimensional version of the
waterpixels, namely the watervoxels. Waterpixels constitute a simple,
yet efficient alternative to standard superpixel paradigms, initially
developed in the field of computer vision for reducing the space cost of
input images without altering the accuracy of further image
processing/analysis procedures. Waterpixels were initially proposed in a
2-dimensional version. Their extension to 3-dimensions -and more
generally n-dimensions- is however possible, in particular in the
Cartesian grid. Indeed, waterpixels mainly rely on a seeded watershed
transformation applied on a saliency map defined as the linear
combination of a gradient map and a distance map. We propose a
description of the algorithmics of watervoxels in n-dimensional
Cartesian grids. We also discuss its parameters and its time cost. A
source code for 2- and 3-dimensional versions of watervoxels is
provided, such as a 2-dimensional demonstrator. This article can be seen
as the companion of the article 'Waterpixels', published in 2015 in IEEE
Transactions on Image Processing.