[IPOL announce] new article: Comparison of Optical Flow Methods under Stereomatching with Short Baselines

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Wed Oct 9 00:30:33 CEST 2019

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2019/217/

Tristan Dagobert, Nelson Monzón, and Javier Sánchez,
Comparison of Optical Flow Methods under Stereomatching with Short
Baselines,
Image Processing On Line, 9 (2019), pp. 329–359.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2019.217

Abstract

This article studies the effectiveness of optical flow methods applied
to short baseline image pairs under different noise levels. New metrics
have been developed to analyze the results because the usual metrics are
inadequate in a subpixel context. We have used the implementation of
some standard optical flow methods adapted to the stereo problem. Our
experiments show that the Brox et al. method produces the least errors,
with a 60% success rate and a relative precision at 1/100th of a pixel.
On the other hand, our comparison shows that a discontinuity preserving
method, derived from Brox et al., also provides competitive results at
the same time that it yields disparities with more details and correct
contours.