[IPOL announce] new article: Reversibility Error of Image Interpolation Methods: Definition and Improvements

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Wed Oct 16 01:07:46 CEST 2019

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2019/277/

Thibaud Briand,
Reversibility Error of Image Interpolation Methods: Definition and
Improvements,
Image Processing On Line, 9 (2019), pp. 360–380.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2019.277

Abstract
There is no universal procedure in image processing for evaluating the
quality and performance of an interpolation method. In this work, we
introduce a new quantity: the reversibility error. For a given image, it
measures the error after applying successively a homography close to the
identity, a crop (removing boundary artifacts) and the inverse
homography. An average over random homographies is made to remove the
dependency on the homography. A more precise measurement discarding very
high-frequency artifacts is obtained by clipping the spectrum of the
difference. We also propose new fine-tuned interpolation methods that
are based on the DFT zoom-in and pre-existing (or base) interpolation
methods. The zoomed version of an interpolation method is obtained by
applying it to the DFT zoom-in of the image. In the periodic plus smooth
version of interpolation methods, the non-periodicity is handled by
applying the zoomed version to the periodic component and a base
interpolation method to the smooth component. In an experimental part,
we show that the proposed fine-tuned methods have smaller reversibility
errors than their base interpolation methods and that the error is
mainly localized in a small high-frequency band. We recommend to use the
periodic plus smooth versions of high order B-spline. It is more
efficient and provides better results than trigonometric polynomial
interpolation.