[IPOL announce] new article: Segmentation with Active Contours

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Mon May 24 20:04:50 CEST 2021

A new article is available in IPOL: http://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2021/298/

Fabien Pierre, Mathieu Amendola, Clémence Bigeard, Timothé Ruel, and
Pierre-Frédéric Villard,
Segmentation with Active Contours,
Image Processing On Line, 11 (2021), pp. 120–141.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2021.298

Abstract
Active contours (also known as snakes) have shown their ability to
introduce regularity on image segmentation. In contrast with level-set
approaches, the active contours techniques based on a contour
parameterization are able to maintain the initial topology of the area
of interest. For this reason, it has been used in recent medical
research for diaphragm segmentation. Most of the on-line codes for 2D/3D
segmentation, as well as built-in Matlab toolboxes are based on
level-set methods. Moreover, in the literature, the implementation
details of active contours methods with meshes in three dimensions are
tight, making tedious any reproduction of these techniques. In this
paper, we give some details of the implementation of active contours in
2D/3D with meshes, especially about the choice of the use of a 2D/3D
mesh and its refinement. We also explore the choice of the parameters
with a quantitative study of their influence on the segmentation
results. The 3D segmentation method has been applied to CT scan images
of the lungs.