[IPOL announce] new article: An Analysis and Implementation of the HDR+ Burst Denoising Method

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Tue May 25 09:36:05 CEST 2021

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2021/336/

Antoine Monod, Julie Delon, and Thomas Veit,
An Analysis and Implementation of the HDR+ Burst Denoising Method,
Image Processing On Line, 11 (2021), pp. 142–169.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2021.336

Abstract
HDR+ is an image processing pipeline presented by Google in 2016. At its
core lies a denoising algorithm that uses a burst of raw images to
produce a single higher quality image. Since it is designed as a
versatile solution for smartphone cameras, it does not necessarily aim
for the maximization of standard denoising metrics, but rather for the
production of natural, visually pleasing images. In this article, we
specifically discuss and analyze the HDR+ burst denoising algorithm
architecture and the impact of its various parameters. With this
publication, we provide an open source Python implementation of the
algorithm, along with an interactive demo.