[IPOL announce] new article: A Generic Bundle Adjustment Methodology for Indirect RPC Model Refinement of Satellite Imagery

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Sat Nov 13 15:33:17 CET 2021

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2021/352/

Roger Marí, Carlo de Franchis, Enric Meinhardt-Llopis, Jérémy Anger, and
Gabriele Facciolo,
A Generic Bundle Adjustment Methodology for Indirect RPC Model
Refinement of Satellite Imagery,
Image Processing On Line, 11 (2021), pp. 344–373.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2021.352

Abstract
This article describes a generic bundle adjustment methodology for
multi-view stereo pipelines for 3D reconstruction from high-resolution
optical satellite imagery. The Rational Polynomial Camera (RPC) model of
each input view is refined by composing it with a rotation that
compensates errors related to the attitude angles encoding the satellite
orientation. A set of tie points, derived from feature tracks detected
across the input images, is used to find the optimal corrective
rotations by minimization of the reprojection error. We evaluate the
performance of our method using time series of SkySat acquisitions over
two different areas of interest. As an internal evaluation metric we
compute the standard deviation between corresponding height estimations
derived from different stereo pairs, before and after the bundle
adjustment correction. Lastly, the results are also compared to an
alternative solution for multi-view stereo pipelines that eludes any
explicit correction of the camera models by directly registering
independent dense surface models.