[IPOL announce] new article: Implementation of VBM3D and Some Variants

announcements about the IPOL journal announce at list.ipol.im
Mon Nov 22 09:10:39 CET 2021

A new article is available in IPOL: https://www.ipol.im/pub/art/2021/340/

Thibaud Ehret, and Pablo Arias,
Implementation of VBM3D and Some Variants,
Image Processing On Line, 11 (2021), pp. 374–395.
https://doi.org/10.5201/ipol.2021.340

Abstract
VBM3D is an extension to video of the well-known image denoising
algorithm BM3D, which takes advantage of the sparse representation of
stacks of similar patches in a transform domain. The extension is rather
straightforward: the similar 2D patches are taken from a spatio-temporal
neighborhood which includes neighboring frames. In spite of its
simplicity, the algorithm offers a good trade-off between denoising
performance and computational complexity. In this work we revisit this
method, providing an open-source C++ implementation reproducing the
results. A detailed description is given and the choice of parameters is
thoroughly discussed. Furthermore, we study and compare several
extensions of the original algorithm: (1) a multiscale implementation,
(2) the use of 3D patches, (3) the use of optical flow to guide the
patch search. These extensions yield results which are competitive with
the most recent state of the art.