[IPOL discuss] IE/Opera bug fixed

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Oct 21 18:16:12 CEST 2010

> It's not normal, but ALL the demos are broken with IE.
>
> I have to fix it, it's a redirection issue.

I could finally fix it today.

Surprisingly, I had to go through lots of unexpected caveats, browser
bugs and unofficial specs to find a suboptimal but consistently
reliable solution for something as basic as a web page redirection.
I won't write the details now (it's too late), but I think it's worth
a documentation, later.

So, the demos should work now on all the major (and some minor)
browsers. I tested them on Windows XP with
* Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
* Firefox 3.6.11
* Opera 10.63
* Google Chrome 7.0.517.41
* Chromium 8.0.560
* Safari 5.0.2
* Konqueror 4.4.4

I routinely also check on Linux. Can anyone check with various
browsers on Mac OSX? Note that the redirection depends on the HTTP
browser behaviour, not the HTML rendering, so different browsers with
the same rendering engine (Safari/Chrome/Konqueror) may handle a
redirection differently.

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F