[IPOL discuss] demo RGBprocess (RGB cube visualization)

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Thu Oct 28 07:04:24 CEST 2010

> a new version of the RGB cube visualization demo is available for
> testing at the web site:
>
> http://demotest.ipol.im/~lisani//blm_rgbprocess/

A few comments, from the (naive) user point of view:

# input

* All the proposed images are labelled "<something> image". The
  "<image>" part is obvious, I thing "<something>" is enough (Balls,
  Horses, ...)
* It's not "buda" (the city), it's not "buddha" (the Buddhism
  founder), it's a "monk".
* It's not a "lake", it's "kinkaku-ji" (or the "golden pavilion").
* It's not a "star", it's a "starfish"

# params/subimage

* I'd like to have both on the same page, ie, on the "params" page,
  either click a button to run the algorithm on the whole image, or
  click two points on the image to select a rectangle.
* If I select the first corner on a red background, I can't see the
  red cross drawn at this position. A solution is to draw this cross
  with 2 colors (white and black, for example), like the ascii example
  hereafter
      BBBWWWWWBBB
* The bilinear interpolation used to scale up tiny images is
  disturbing. Why is this interpolation used? If you need more pixels,
  can't you extend the selected rectangle instead of zooming it?

# results

* "view 1" ... "view 21" are not meaningful titles. Maybe the camera
  position, or rotation angles, can be better.
* "RGB views: original, filtered, density view" could be a subtitle
  (<h2>...</h2>).
* We need a subtitle for the first part of the results
  (original/filtered), and no separation (<hr>) between the two parts
  of the results.
* I feel that one rotation axis is enough to understand the 3D layout,
  ie views 6-21; but I may not understand correctly what is to be
  seen.
* Some users may want to get the 3D data. You could produce a 3D data
  file (VRML[1], X3D[2], PLY[3], ...). Later, when the technology
  improves, we may embed this 3D data into the web page with
  HTML5 and WebGL.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRML
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3D
[3]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLY_(file_format)

# misc

* What vabout seeing the color distribution in other coordinate
  systems, ie HSL instead of RGB for example. Is it interesting?

--
Nicolas LIMARE
http://nicolas.limare.net/                         pgp:0xFA423F4F