[IPOL discuss] BM3D ready in dev. server

Jean-Michel Morel morel at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Sat Apr 30 10:32:57 CEST 2011

Dear all,

We need to minimize the maintenance risk and effort and our demo system.
I try to contribute to it by enforcing standard demo settings.

As a rule of thumb, when you design a new demo, the first question is:
is the demo type similar or identical to an already existing standard
demo?

In this case which is frequent, I propose to leave no other choice to
the redactor than a copy-paste of the former ones with the minimal
adaptation.

Or, if the redactor thinks that a new setting is widely preferable, then
this change should be accepted by all and applied by the redactor to all
equivalent demos, not just the one he is in charge of.

This exigence comes up naturally for scientific reasons. All equivalent
algorithms must be tested by users in exactly the same way.

We are preparing groups of demos,  "benchmarks", which must therefore
have EXACTLY the same settings. Their demo sites should look identical
to the users.

I enclose the current list of projected benchmarks below. Each one is
expanding rapidly. I invite you eagerly to fix a unique format for each
benchmark. If several editors take care of one benchmark, they should
arrive at a final proposition.

We are currently preparing seven such benchmarks. I enclose their list
of demos and the current redactors

A) Denoising : José Luis, Miguel, Pascal Getreuer
ys_dct_denoising
bcm_non_local_means_denoising
g_tv_denoising
+ BM3D
+ NL-means PCA
+ KSVD

B) Demosaicking: Pascal Getreuer

bcms_self_similarity_driven_demosaicking
g_demosaicking_with_contour_stencils
g_lian_adaptive_filtering_demosaicking
g_malvar_he_cutler_linear_image_demosaicking
g_zhang_wu_lmmse_image_demosaicking

C) Example based texture synthesis Nicolas, ???
ggm_random_phase_texture_synthesis
+ Heeger Bergen
+ Wei Levoy
+ Portilla Simoncelli

D) Image interpolation  Pascal Getreuer
g_image_interpolation_with_contour_stencils
g_interpolation_geometric_contour_stencils
g_linear_methods_for_image_interpolation
g_roussos_diffusion_interpolation

E) Epipolar rectification Pascal Monasse, Gabriele
m_quasi_euclidean_epipolar_rectification
+ 3 more

F) Various color-contrast adjustment  José Luis
g_localcolorcorrection
lmps_selective_contrast_adjustment
color balance
+ histogram piecewise linear