[IPOL discuss] Typographic problem

Pascal Getreuer getreuer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 17:55:57 CEST 2011

> For me the ideal solution will be something that accepts a .tex as
> input and renders a web page and a pdf.
> Web content will be easy for a quick read, maybe while trying the
> demo; and pdf will be nice for people reading it in-depth, maybe in a
> printed form.

I like this idea too.  I have tried latex2html and a few others, and
automatic conversion is pretty good provided the LaTeX source is
restricted to basic commands.  So, rather than using the current mix
of markdown, ikiwiki, and HTML, IPOL authors could write the article
using a restricted subset of LaTeX.   This restriction might be
something like
  - all equations appearing on their own line must be written using
align or align*
  - newcommand, setlength, parbox, and minipage are not allowed
  - spacing commands \! \, \: \; \hspace \vspace are not allowed in
text mode, but may be used in math mode
  - only these packages are allowed: amsmath, amssymb, hyperref, graphicx

Some journals other than IPOL have similar requirements for their
typesetting process: authors must use a specific style sheet and are
allowed only certain packages and commands.

Writing IPOL articles using a restricted subset of LaTeX would be
great because it would be more familiar to authors.  Also, it is a lot
easier to type math in LaTeX than in markdown+HTML:

   LaTeX:
   $\int \varphi_n(x-t) f(t)  \, dt \rightarrow f(x)$

   markdown+HTML:
   ∫ φ<sub>_n_</sub>(_x_−_t_) _dt_ → _f_(_x_)

Another advantage is that existing LaTeX material would be easier to
use.  It is also a nice bonus is that we automatically get the article
as both a webpage and PDF.

Best,
Pascal