[IPOL discuss] Corrections of erratas: the Scholarpedia method

Nicolas Limare nicolas.limare at cmla.ens-cachan.fr
Fri Dec 9 14:20:03 CET 2011

Hi,

> Two small comments: first, scholarpedia is down, and it doesn't show
> in google's cache;

Well, it was online this morning... Nothing in archive.org either.

> second, we can use the input format as latex, keep the online format
> as html with mathjax or whatever, and a download link for the PDF
> for printing and offline use.

It is also my intuition, and seems confirmed by the recent author
survey (results sent on this list soon). I think the feasability only
depends on how reliable a LaTeX->HTML can be, and how much of the
LaTeX functions we must give up to have a reliable conversion to
HTML.

> And finally, math rendering is steadly improving, so it is just a
> matter of time to have a decent converter.

I don't think we will have a good generic LaTeX->HTML converter
anytime sool, it is a really complex and ill-posed problem. But we may
have a good conversion from a limited subset of LaTeX. I know Rafael &
Loic have been testing different tools, we will probably hear about it
in the next weeks.

--
Nicolas LIMARE - CMLA - ENS Cachan    http://www.cmla.ens-cachan.fr/~limare/